‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2,’ the animated conclusion to Frank Miller’s popular ‘Batman’ series in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies series, has received an official Blu-ray and DVD release date. Produced by Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, the PG-13 rated film, which was written by Bob Goodman and directed by Jay Oliva, will arrive in stores on January 29, 2013 from Warner House Video. The movie, which will also be available On Demand and for Digital Download, will be available as a Blu-ray Combo Pack for $24.98, while the DVD will retail for $19.98.
The animated action sequel will follow Batman, voiced by Peter Weller, as he continues to battle crime in Gotham City with his sidekick Robin, voiced by Ariel Winter. The title character’s resurgence awakens The Joker, voiced by Michael Emerson, at Arkham Asylum. Meanwhile, Superman, voiced by Mark Valley, has been dispatched to stop Batman’s unsanctioned reign by whatever means necessary by the president. Between the Joke trying to drag Batman to the dark side and the Man of Steel’s invincible physical presence, the Dark Knight must confront his enemies and allies simultaneously, while maintaining the peace in Gotham City.
The ‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2’ Blu-ray Combo Pack has more than two hours of exciting content, including:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Sneak Peek at ‘Superman: Unbound,’ the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Featurette – ‘The Joker: Laughing in the Face of Death’ – An all-new featurette that serves as a tribute to the Joker, giving perspective as to why this engrossing character is the true arch nemesis of Batman.
• Documentary – ‘Superman vs. Batman: When Heroes Collide’ – An all-new documentary. Batman and Superman have a long history of friendship and conflict. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns brought an end to that conflict. This is the story behind that battle.
• Featurette – ‘From Sketch to Screen’ – An all-new featurette. Director Jay Oliva gives a fascinating animatic breakdown of five of his favorite moments from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
• Look Back – Sneak Peek at ‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1’
• Two bonus episodes from ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ (‘The Last Laugh’ and ‘The Man Who Killed Batman’) and an episode from ‘The New Batman Adventures’ (‘Legends of the Dark Knight’), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
• Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel ‘The Dark Knight Falls’ by Frank Miller.
Written by: Karen Benardello