Just a week after announcing that ‘Saw VI’ director Kevin Greutert will be replacing Oren Peli on ‘Paranormal Activity 2,’ ‘Saw’ distributors Twisted Pictures and Lionsgate proclaimed on January 26 that he will be coming back to the series to direct ‘Saw VII 3D.’ This leaves the sequel to last year’s surprise hit ‘Paranormal Activity’ currently without a director.
David Hackl, who directed the fifth ‘Saw,’ was originally chosen to helm ‘Saw VII 3D.’ While he was promised a two movie deal with Lionsgate, who said he will be given a second film quickly, maybe in a twist of fate Paramount will choose him to direct ‘Paranormal Activity 2.’ The next installments in both series, which became rivals after ‘Paranormal Activity’ earned $21.1 million against the $14.1 million ‘Saw VI’ made last October, have a slated October 22 release date.
Peli will be back for ‘Paranormal Activity 2,’ as he is producing it along with Jason Blum. Steven Schneider is executive producing the movie. “These guys get it, and the fans won’t be disappointed,” Peli said of Perry and Greutert’s participation.
Gruetert’s return to the ‘Saw’ series will mean he has participated in the creation of all seven of the movies, as he was an editor on all the earlier editions. His second time at directing a ‘Saw’ movie will see him not only go up against ‘Paranormal Activity 2,’ if it is indeed still released that day, but also Summitt Entertainment’s adaptation of the graphic novel ‘Red.’
Written by: Karen Benardello