Over the years, ‘American Idol’ has seen its fair share of disqualified contestants, whether it was discovered they had a criminal past or had previously taken part in professional recordings, and this year is no different. The Popeater website reported on February 18 that 19-year-old Chris Golightly, who was admitted into the top 24 round the night before, was shortly there after disqualified.
In a FOX press release, the network announced that Golightly was determined ineligible to continue in the competition because of a recording contract mix-up. Therefore, fellow Texas singer Tom Urban has replaced him. FOX decided to let Golightly go after Lawrence Franklin of Dream Projects Entertainment let producers of the hit show know that he was under a boy band recording contract when he auditioned last year.
While Franklin decided to amicably release Golightly from his contract so that he could compete, the necessary paperwork wasn’t completed on time. However, there’s nothing Golightly can do to stay on the show, as ‘American Idol’ producers said the show must continue without him. Golightly told USA Today that he has left the producers voicemails, but they haven’t returned his calls.
Written by: Karen Benardello